Pizza Dough Recipe Ingredients:
4 – 1/2 cups (20.25 ounces) all-purpose flour
1 – 3/4 (.44 ounce) teaspoons salt
1 – teaspoon (.11 ounce) instant yeast
1/4 cup (2 ounces) pure olive oil (not extra virgin)
1 3/4 cups (14 ounces) water
3 cups Semolina 00 flour OR cornmeal for dusting
- Mix salt, flour and yeast into a 4 quart bowl. You can do this with your hands or you can use an electric mixer fitted with a dough hook.
- Stir in the oil and the cold water until fully absorbed in the flour.
- Work the dough vigorously into a smooth mass or as long as it takes to create a smooth, sightly sticky dough.
- Sprinkle flour on the counter and transfer the dough to the counter.
- Knead the dough with dry floured hands, folding it over itself a few times in the process.
- Form the dough into a ball and place in a lightly oiled bowl, turn it over to coat.
- Cover bowl with a damp towel and let rise until doubled in size. This takes about an hour or so.
- When the dough is spongy and domed, sprinkle more flour on the counter and transfer the dough back to the counter.
- Roll and stretch the dough into a cylinder and divide into 3 equal pieces.
- Cover and let rest for about 10 minutes or so.
- Roll out the dough and cut it into circles ready for cooking.
Some people do this the day before making their pizza and they store the dough in the refrigerator over night. This allows the dough to ‘rest’ or ferment giving it a more robust flavor.
If you want to do this then roll the dough into balls instead of cutting them into circles and place them in a freezer bag and put them into the refrigerator over night.
When you are ready to use them, remove the dough balls from the refrigerator and allow them to come to room temperature before rolling them out. This usually takes about an hour and a half to two hours or so.